Winter has bestowed it’s icy harsh temperatures on us so mauled wine, hot chocolate and soup really come out to play. Soups are and have been consumed by people for many of years. From the famous world renowned chicken soup to the Simplistic tomato soup. Soups are the most simplest things to make, there are a few tricks of the trade the could elevate yours from basic to a higher standard, but anyone could make it. Having a typical base combination of aromats also known as ‘mirepoix’. It’s just leeks, onions and carrots. As long you have those, a wide ray of choices are available for you to throw in and create.
Sweet potatoes how could you not love them. To be honest I just had allot of sweet potatoes left over from the Christmas period. So not to make the typical sweet potato fries or roast them. I wanted to try something different so here we are with the soup. I promise you it’s beyond simple to make. I did find that if you roast them first apose to boiling them, a more richer flavoursome taste is brought out the soup. This is a good amount for 4 people. Having a budget of £8 you can go wrong. Best thing about this is you can freeze it.
750g, Sweet Potatoes
300ml, Veg Stock
Handful of Rosemary
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
4 Tbsp, Olive Oil
2 Tsp, Butter
1 Tsp, Mixed herb
2, Cinnamon Bagel
- Peel potatoes and pre heat oven at 200C. Once pealed, dice and place on a tray with 2 Tbsp of Oil and throw in the Rosemary. Leave in the over for 20 min.
- 5 min before the time is up, put a pot on a low heat and when its hot add the oil, celery, onion, celery and leave to sweat (cook without collaring) for 4 min. At the stage the potatoes should have been removed.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper and stock in the pan, bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 10 min.
- Once potatoes are soft add to a blender or use a hand blender and blitz till smooth. (To get it more smooth pass it through a sieve)
- Pre heat grill, cut bagel in half spread the butter and sprinkle the mixed herbs on top. Leave it in the grill for 2 min or till it get a nice golden colour. Then serve.
You can serve with anything you want or add any other veg to the mixture at step 3.
Please share and let me know how it goes.