Introduction: There’s something undeniably comforting about a well-prepared dish that combines familiar flavors with a touch of elegance. In this upscale rendition of a classic comfort food, we bring together succulent beef, crisp apples, and fluffy rice to create a truly unforgettable dining experience. The delightful combination of savory and sweet flavors will leave your taste buds wanting more. So, let’s dive into this tantalizing recipe and embark on a culinary journey that will satisfy both your cravings and your desire for sophistication.
For the beef
- 500g beef, preferably tenderloin or sirloin, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 green apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander , chopped (for garnish)
- Veg or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 -3 Bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Tablespoon Turmeric
- Handful of mushrooms
For the rice
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the rice:
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, water, and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 10-15minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and set aside.
- Sear the beef:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the beef strips with salt and pepper, then add them to the hot skillet.
- Sear the beef for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned, then transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Prepare the apple and vegetable medley:
- In the same skillet, add the minced garlic, ginger, chilli and herbs (rosemary & bay leaf) chopped onion, and sliced red bell pepper. (With the beef removed at this stage) along with some butter.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender and fragrant.
- Add in the spices as well, cumin, paprika, cinismos stick, smoked curry powder & coriander seeds. Stir for a minute or two.
- Add the sliced apples to the skillet and cook for an additional 2 minutes, allowing them to soften slightly while retaining their crunch. (add some flour at this point to thicken the sauce)
- Bring it all together:
- Return the seared beef to the skillet and toss everything together.
- Drizzle veg stock (or beef stock) over the mixture, stirring well to coat all the ingredients evenly.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the flavors meld together for about 5 minutes, allowing the beef to absorb the delightful apple-infused essence.
- Add in the turmeric and chopped coriander and allow to cook on simmer a further 30-40 min.
- Scoop a generous portion of the flavorful beef and apple mixture onto a bed of fluffy rice (the rice was filled in a small bowl and placed in the middle)
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley to add a pop of color and a hint of freshness.
Conclusion: The upscale rendition of this beef and apple recipe elevates traditional comfort food to new heights, delighting your senses with its harmonious blend of savory beef, tangy apples, and fragrant spices. The tender strips of beef, combined with the crispness of the apples and the lightness of the rice, create a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
This dish is ideal for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself to a gourmet twist on a beloved classic. So, grab your apron and get ready to impress your family and friends with this delightful combination of flavors. Beef and apple delight with rice: it’s a sophisticated comfort food that will leave everyone asking for seconds. Bon appétit!
Please like share and let me know how it goes.